Friday, September 4, 2009

"Just Keep Swimming"

Lately I've been doing some thinking about life in general. What do I want out of my time on this Earth?

Simple- I want to be the best person that I can be, run my family the best that I can, and leave the world a little better than I found it.

Yeah. That sounds about right. Too bad it is ridiculously vague and the epitome of a cliche... What do I really want out of life, day to day? Let's try this again, more specifically this time.

1. I want to be happy. When I die, I want my family to remember me as someone who was happy- someone who made lemonade out of the lemons she'd been handed. (I guess I can't get away from the cliches entirely...) I want to be thought of as the eternal optimist, someone who made you feel better when you were around her. I want to live my life that way, as well.

2. I want to be responsible. Growing up, my family didn't really place a lot of emphasis on this. I think that responsiblity is necessary for true happiness, though. That genuine-deep-down-your-soul-is-smiling type of happiness.

3. (Warning- this is kind of shallow) I want to be thin. Maybe not even thin, but slender, healthy. I want to break the cycle of obesity in my bloodlines. I want to laugh as I'm saying to the salesgirl at Ann Taylor, "No, this size 8 is too big... Could you bring me the 6?" Scratch that- you know what? The size doesn't really matter- I may never be a size 6. But I want to be healthy. I want to be in a healthy weight range. I want clothes to look good on me. I want to feel good in my skin!

4. I want to raise children who are all of the above. Happy, responsible, healthy children, who love their lives and have a lot of fun.

Well, that about sums it up. Some days I feel like all of that is at the end of my fingertips, easily achievable if only I would just take that one step forward. Other times it feels as if I have to keep trudging 14 more miles, barefoot and through 29 inches of snow to get there.

That's life, I suppose. As Dory in Finding Nemo says, "Just keep swimming!"

No comments:

Post a Comment