Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So I'm Sewing...




So. I made it through the first blog post, and here's a second! I started learning how to sew a year or so ago. My mother in law knew how, so I asked her for lessons. It was great! I made a pillow the first lesson, placemats the second, a blanket, and a bag that looks suspiciously Vera Bradley-like. Then my in-laws moved away, and took the machine with them. After finding some really cute patterns and missing the whole creative aspect of sewing, I decided that I was going to buy one. Lo and behold, for my birthday this year (just a couple of weeks ago), I received a sewing machine from the in-laws as a gift! Yay! I bought some patterns for a couple of skirts and a really cute dress.

One problem though:

Skirts and dresses are WAY different to make than placemats. I really have no idea what I'm doing- I'm supposed to be doing pleats, a zipper, and sizing it correctly- all things I've never done before. I took one look at the directions and the pattern and decided to put that project on hold. Instead, the maiden voyage of my sewing machine was to make my version of a "Taggie" blanket for B. It came out really well, and he loved it!



I guess it's definitely not bad considering I would have laughed at whoever told me 5 years ago that I would be sewing someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment